We are proud that Stichting OPEN is trusted by 4.426 importers and producers

Complying with regulations around solar panels

The waste management contribution for solar panels will increase in 2023. Below is the background and frequently asked questions. If […]

Complying with regulations around electrical appliances

Section 10 of the WEEE Management Regulations states that at least 65% of the average weight quantity of electrical and […]

Get inspired

A huge leap has already been made in recent years with the collection of e-waste. This has risen sharply and […]

I would like to know more

Contact us

  • Does my company have producer responsibility according to the European Battery regulation?

    Do you produce or import (products with built-in) batteries and/or accumulators? And do you sell these to Dutch companies or consumers? If so, you have a producer responsibility. You are subject to the European Battery regulation.

    Do the check! Answer a few questions and see the results immediately. Then you will know what next steps to take.

  • I sell electrical appliances in the market. Do I need to register?

    Are you the first to introduce electronic or electrical appliances to the Dutch market? If so, as an importer or producer, you have a legal responsibility as defined in the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations (WEEE). Starting from March 1, 2021, Stichting OPEN is responsible for ensuring compliance with producer responsibilities. As of that date, all producers and importers of electrical and electronic equipment must meet their legal obligations through Stichting OPEN.

  • How do I register with Stichting OPEN?

    You can register quickly and easily through the portal “myOPEN” Stichting OPEN – Registration (stichting-open.org). As soon as we have received your registration, we will contact you to further explain a number of points. We will notify you when it is time to report. If you still have questions about this, feel free to contact Producer Services Department. They can be reached by email producenten@stichting-open.org but you can also call 079 7600 630.

  • How is the waste management fee structured?

    The waste management levy, also known as the waste-management fee, is an amount that every producer and importer of electrical and electronic devices must pay to Stichting OPEN. This fee is determined based on the quantity of electrical and electronic appliances that a producer and/or importer introduces to the market annually.

    The waste management fee comprises operational costs, system costs, and a fixed contribution. Operational costs include expenses related to the collection, transport, sorting, and processing of waste electrical and electronic appliances. System costs cover expenses for organization, communication, research, controls, audits, and more. The fixed contribution is a set amount per producer or importer, which covers costs not included in the operational or system costs, such as the contribution to the National (W)EEE Register (NWR). For the reporting year 2022/2023, the contribution to the National (W)EEE Register is set at EUR 75. Stichting OPEN directly invoices these costs as a fixed amount to the producers and/or importers of electrical and electronic appliances and transfers this amount in full to the National (W)EEE Register.

  • Product and tariff list 2023 and 2024

    List electrical and electronic equipment of 2023 can be downloaded. here.

    List electrical and electronic equipment of 2024 can be downloaded here.

    List batteries of 2023 can be downloaded here.

    List batteries of 2024 can be downloaded here.

  • What is the waste management fee?

    The waste management levy, often referred to as the waste management fee, is an obligatory payment that every importer and producer of electrical and electronic devices must make to Stichting OPEN. This fee is designed to establish a level playing field, with fixed rates determined annually based on expected Put on Market (PoM) figures and anticipated operational costs. Through the waste management fee, we collectively contribute to covering the costs of collection, transportation, processing, sorting, and associated overhead expenses. You can find the 2023 product and rate list here.

  • What is my WEEE registration number?

    In some European countries, a WEEE registration number is mandatory. In the Netherlands, the National (W)EEE Register does not utilize this system. To demonstrate your compliance with producer responsibilities in the Netherlands, you can refer to the website of the National (W)EEE Register, where you will find a list of importers and producers. The Stichting OPEN website also maintains an up-to-date list of importers and producers.

  • Are lamps, batteries and bicycle batteries covered by the scheme?

    Yes, all energy-efficient lamps are covered by the WEEE regulation. For portable batteries and bicycle batteries, a separate, similar regulation exists, with implementation assigned to StiBat. Starting from January 1, 2024, the responsibility for portable batteries and bicycle batteries will also fall under the purview of Stichting OPEN.

  • How do I report my Put on Market?

    You will receive an annual notification that your statement is ready in myOPEN portal. You can find the relevant statement under the ‘Statement Overview’ section. We have approximately 70 product categories into which you can classify your product range. For each product category, you are required to report the total weight and the total number of units. In myOpen, you will find a product finder that can assist you in correctly classifying your products. Of course, you can also contact the Producer Services department at producenten@stichting-open.org.

    *Please note that to effectively monitor the Put on Market activity throughout the year, some participants submit quarterly statements. Due to changes in tariffs for solar panels in 2023, companies that place solar panels on the market for the 2023 specification year will submit their statements every six months. This change only applies to those who typically submit annual statements.

  • How can I manage my producer responsibility in other EU Member States?

    If your company operates in multiple European countries, you have the option to consolidate your producer responsibility with a single entity, such as WEEE Europe or Weee Nederland. These organizations can establish contracts with various European collection systems, allowing you to streamline your reporting for all of Europe through an online portal.

    WEEE Europe is a collaborative effort involving several European collectives, including the OPEN Foundation. This Germany-based company serves as a one-stop-shop for businesses operating in multiple European countries and offers the following services:

    • Arranging contracts with diverse European collection systems.
    • Providing an online portal for centralized reporting across Europe.

    For further information, please visit the WEEE Europe website or contact Producers Services of Stichting OPEN by e-mail.

  • Do you export electrical appliances for reuse abroad?

    If you export electrical appliances that can be reused abroad, it’s essential to comply with Dutch laws and regulations, which require reporting. This reporting can be done directly with the National (W)EEE Register or through Stichting OPEN, offering the convenience of making this declaration in one place with our assistance, if needed. Additionally, we provide an administrative fee for your cooperation. By reporting, you help us gain insight into the quantities of appliances that are no longer available for collection in the Netherlands.

    Please note that as a client or exporter you are responsible for a number of rules surrounding the testing, packaging and labeling of the electrical and electronic equipment used; you will find these rules here: Export van gebruikte elektrische en elektronische apparatuur | Producentenverantwoordelijkheid | Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport (ILT) (ilent.nl)

  • As a foreign producer, do I need to appoint an authorised representative?

    Foreign producers who introduce electrical or electronic equipment to the Dutch market can directly become members of Stichting OPEN without the requirement to appoint an authorized representative. Since March 1st, Stichting OPEN has assumed producer responsibility for all producers, including foreign ones, operating in the Netherlands. With its broadly applicable waste management fee agreement, Stichting OPEN effectively fulfills the role of an authorized representative. Therefore, Stichting OPEN believes that appointing an authorized representative is unnecessary and less efficient.

    Foreign producers who fulfill their obligations under the waste management fee agreement with Stichting OPEN can receive a compliance statement. This statement can be presented in their own country to demonstrate compliance with Dutch legislation regarding producer responsibility for electrical and electronic equipment. For further information on how Stichting OPEN handles the role of the authorized representative, please refer to our statement.

    While foreign producers have the freedom to appoint an authorized representative, Stichting OPEN believes it is not required in this context.


  • How does the waste management fee refund for indirect export work?

    If you export electrical appliances and/or lamps (EEE) that you have purchased from a Dutch producer/importer affiliated with Stichting OPEN. You can reclaim the waste management fee paid for this EEE. This EEE will most likely not end up in the Netherlands’ waste stream at the end of its useful life. Therefore no costs are incurred for collection and appropriate processing.

    Do you want to make use of this? Then sign up. The export refund scheme (version 1.1.2023) including the conditions can be found here: Export Refund Scheme June 2023.

    For more information and application, please contact the Producer Services Department at producenten@stichting-open.org.


  • Do you export electrical waste for processing abroad?

    If you export electrical waste for processing abroad, it’s essential to comply with Dutch laws and regulations. In this case, you may either be the notifier (the party applying for the export permit) or the producer (the party where the waste originated or the physical holder of the waste). As the notifier or producer, you bear the final responsibility for the waste in the Netherlands, which entails the following obligations:

    Ensuring that the waste is treated abroad in an appropriate and high-quality manner, in accordance with the Dutch national waste management plan.

    Reporting the quantities of electrical waste you export annually to the National (W)EEE Register.

    If you also report monthly to the OPEN Foundation, we can assist you with this process and provide an administrative fee of €5 per ton. Your cooperation helps us gain earlier insight into the quantities being processed abroad.

  • As a company, foundation, or club, if you have electrical waste, you may be wondering where you can dispose of it.

    We are here to assist you in the collection of discarded electrical appliances, and we have a service called Wecycle designed for businesses. In some instances, we may even provide this collection service for free. For the best approach, we recommend reaching out to our Operations department at tel. 079-760-0600. You can also visit www.wecyclevoorbedrijven.nl for more information.

  • How can I dispose of a professional electrical appliance responsibly?

    To responsibly dispose of a professional electrical appliance, you can consider taking it to metal companies. In some cases, you may receive a market-based price for it. Visit the Wecycle collection points for companies at wecyclevoorbedrijven.nl to find more information. If you choose to go this route, you will receive the payment from the metal company you arrange this with. Always check the collection point’s website for details regarding opening hours and additional information before dropping off your appliance.

    If you prefer to have us collect your electrical waste free of charge (without compensation), simply click on ‘Register’ on this website.

  • If you are aware of an importer or producer who you believe has not registered with Stichting OPEN, here’s what you can do:

    You can report this party to us by either emailing or calling:

    If you prefer to remain anonymous. Then make a report through Reporting Point Freeriders Anoniem meldpunt freeriders (office.com)

  • Can I apply for a waiver of Stichting OPEN GTC?

    Yes, it is possible to apply for a waiver from Stichting OPEN GTC if a company believes it can effectively manage the collection and recycling of its products independently. In such cases, the company can submit a request for exemption from the General Administrative Order (AVV) to the Minister. The request should be well-reasoned and substantiated. You can find more information about this procedure here.

  • I receive mail from Afvalbeheerstuctuur AEEA B.V.(AEEA B.V.). Is that Stichting OPEN?

    Yes, you are receiving mail from Afvalbeheerstructuur AEEA B.V. (AEEA B.V.), which is a 100% subsidiary of Stichting OPEN. AEEA B.V. is responsible for managing waste management structure contracting and invoicing on behalf of Stichting OPEN.

  • How/when do I use the WEEE mark (crossed-out wheelie bin)?

    The WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) mark, represented by a crossed-out wheelie bin, serves to indicate that the product should not be disposed of as unsorted waste but collected separately for recovery and recycling. The WEEE mark must be affixed to all electrical and electronic equipment placed on the market in the EU, along with your identification mark, such as a brand name or trademark. If the product was introduced to the market after August 13, 2015, you have the option to include a bar under the crossed-out wheelie bin or indicate the date when the product was placed on the market.

    These markings must be printed on the product itself, ensuring they are visible, legible, and indelible. If applying the marking directly to the product is not feasible (e.g., due to the product’s size or potential operational impact), it may be affixed to the packaging, the instructions for use, or the guarantee certificate instead of the product itself